Where rights can be protected
The Ombudsman plays a role in protecting the rights of any person:
- in custody on a charge or after conviction of any offence; or
- who is a patient of any hospital within the meaning of the Mental Health At 2001.
How can we help?
Where a detained person is not happy with their treatment by the Ministry of Police / Prisons or Health
- They may write a letter to the Ombudsman and address it to the Ombudsman.
- This letter shall be immediately forwarded, unopened to the Ombudsman by the person in charge of the place or institution where the writer of the letter is detained.
- Upon receipt of the letter, it is considered a complaint.